Friday, March 4, 2011

Chipping Away

  In the process of recording Rebirth, I have never been more challenged by words and making sure those words are communicated correctly to create an overall feel for each song.  I don't normally go through eight plus versions of songs lyrically ever, but I feel like it is really a part of my growth as an artist and a writer this time.  

  There are a couple of songs right now that have me a little stumped.  One that I'm having to walk away from in order to wrap my head around it, maybe let go of my initial approach, and come back to it with a fresh perspective...after eight goes at it so far.  

  That is the nature of art I suppose; molding then chipping away.  Letting go of the original vision for it to be better than I ever imagined.

  In some ways, it may be a bad idea to hold so strongly to a concept like I feel I should with this project, but on the otherhand, it's the challenge that I'm finding so invigorating. I admit I'm getting tired, but in the middle of the fight I feel like I might be shedding my influences as a writer and my influences as an artist, so it is worth the effort.  I want the voice of Afterlife Parade to be the distinct voice of Afterlife Parade.  I don't know that we'll quite reach that goal with these two projects, but I think we are definitely setting it up for that.

  I can't believe that I get to be a part of this.  It feels like a present every day.

  Thank you for marching with us!

--Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment